With Easter right around the corner, it only makes sense that we start thinking about something cute and delicious to make! I’m not sure there is anything more amazing than waking up to homemade donuts that are as fresh as can be. Let’s dive into making these Easter Chick Donuts. A baked donuts recipe has never sounded so good!
One of my favorite holidays of the year is Easter. It’s a great time to spend with family and celebrate. However, I don’t like making a big breakfast on that day. I like to take it easy and have a fun item for everyone to eat.
Imagine your kids waking up on Easter morning to discover cute little donuts made into chicks. They are going to go crazy for these sugary sweet donuts. Don’t worry, they are the perfect amount of sweet.
When there is a party happening or I need to bring a themed dessert, you better believe that these are my go-to. They are great for Easter, but you can make these chick donuts any other time of the year too.
I don’t know if you’ve ever thought to yourself that donuts are too hard to make. At one point in time, I may have believed this as well. However, I’m here to tell you how to make this recipe for baked donuts and you’re going to love it.
I don’t feel as though simple recipes for baking come along very often. Make these donuts something you make with the kids as they get older, you’ll love having this tradition with them! Let’s not forget to mention that this recipe is so simple, it starts with cake mix. Now that’s my favorite kind of recipe to bake at home.
While you don’t need to be a decor novice to be able to decorate these chick donuts, you do need to be able to read the directions. I’ve made this recipe so that just about anyone can make these donuts and come out on top. Ingredients for decorating:
You’re going to have so much fun decorating the donuts as chicks! Using vanilla frosting, chocolate chips, food coloring, and a decorator bag, you’ll be an expert at decorating in no time.
Once I learned how to make donuts at home, I rarely go out to buy them anymore. This means that I invested in a few supplies to help me make this easy recipe for baked donuts.
If there is one supply I would recommend grabbing for future opportunities for making donuts, it would be a baked donuts pan. Once you start making adorable Easter Chick Donuts, you won’t want to stop. Before you know it, you’ll be making any kind of baked donuts recipe that you can get your hands on.
Before the number of ingredients in this donuts recipe, without a doubt store them in the fridge. The secret is making sure that you have an airtight container to put the donuts in. You can pull them out when you want and enjoy it!
The trick to keeping donuts fresh is to keep them wrapped up nice and tight. It’s amazing what air can do to a donut if it’s not sealed properly.
Because these Easter Chick Donuts are the perfect amount of sweet, you may choose to serve fresh fruit with it. You can also serve these with homemade muffins or anything else you want to whip up.
You may also choose to only serve drinks with these donuts. Coffee, hot chocolate, white milk, or chocolate milk are all good options!
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees
2. Coat doughnut pan with non-stick cooking spray and wipe out excess with paper towel
3. Mix all ingredients together until smooth
4. Add batter to a disposable decorator bag or resealable bag
5. Pipe batter into doughnut pan, filling ½ full
6. Bake at 325 F degrees for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the doughnut comes out clean
7. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, remove and cool completely on wire rack
Frosting for Bunnies
1. Add about ½ of the can of frosting to a microwave safe bowl
2. Heat about 30 seconds
3. Add white food coloring for a more vibrant frosting
4. Add wire rack on top of baking sheet - to catch the drips
5. Mix well, the consistency needs to be runny but not too runny or hot
6. Turn doughnut upside down and dip the top into the melted frosting
7. Gently shake off excess
8. Turn right side up and shake side-to-side to level frosting
9. Place on a wire rack until firm
Decorations for Bunnies
1. Add white nonpareil sprinkles to a small bowl
2. Add a mini marshmallow to a toothpick (for dipping) and dip into melted white frosting
3. Immediately dip into sprinkles and set to dry
4. Add pink nonpareil sprinkles to a small bowl
5. Cut 1 mini marshmallow in half diagonally
6. Immediately dip cut part into the sprinkles and set to dry
7. For face -turn mini chocolate chip upside down and insert into doughnut for eyes
8. Add a very small amount of frosting to the heart sprinkle and add to doughnut for nose
9. Dip bottom of “tail” into frosting and add to doughnut
10. Dip bottom of ears into frosting and add to doughnut
11. Set aside to dry
Frosting and Decorations for Chicks
1. Repeat frosting process as for bunnies, but coloring the frosting yellow
2. To decorate - add a small amount of frosting into 3 bowls and color each with dark orange (for beak and feathers), and 2 shades of orange for feathers
3. Add frosting to decorator bag fitted with a #4 tip for the feathers and #3 tip for the beak
4. For face - turn mini chocolate chip upside down and insert into doughnut for eyes
5. Pipe on beak with dark orange frosting
6. Pipe on feathers
7. Set aside to dry
If you’re thinking of making these Easter Chick Donuts for the upcoming holiday, you have made a good choice. Do you plan on making these donuts with your kids?